Ducati Scrambler: Sunnyside Up

Ducati describes the Scrambler as accessible, essential, and “a return to the pure essence of motorcycling”. It’s a modern take on an old idea: motorcycling is fun, simple, and inclusive. Put your Termignoni exhaust note aside, your superior weight-to-horsepower ratio, and your sexy Italian supermodel good looks. The Scrambler is a bike for the people. All the people.

I was graciously invited to Ducati North America’s Cupertino headquarters to experience the Scrambler Icon. I sat on the ’62 Yellow Icon and immediately noticed the relaxed, casual riding stance. My arms and hands were extended at a natural angle. My back was almost vertical. My feet were more forward than I was used to on my ’13 Monster 796. Putting the Scrambler in gear, I pulled away from the parked bikes as the others in my party prepared to depart. A quick loop around the parking lot familiarized myself with the Scrambler’s light clutch, commanding gearshift, and easy throttle.

Though my initial read of the Scrambler’s demeanor was positive, I felt the bike’s communication center to be lacking. The retro-styled LCD dashboard seemed cluttered and hard to read as I glanced at it before pulling onto the road. The engine’s RPMs are graphed around the perimeter of the gauge and I had to take a closer look to determine the readout. Scrolling through the gauge’s special features wasn’t intuitive and resetting the trip meter later after re-fueling took extra time while sitting at the pump.

The relaxed ergonomics remained a prominent feature along my ride. The Scrambler’s friendly suspension absorbed road bumps with ease, but the upright riding stance allowed me to focus on traffic and less on the road conditions. With less of my body weight hanging over the fuel tank, I didn’t need to brace or prepare for road bumps. At stops, the low center of gravity and 31-inch seat height allowed both of my feet to rest comfortably on the pavement.

Using a 75-horsepower version of the Monster 796’s 803cc engine, I found the Scrambler’s throttle and re-tuned demeanor smooth and forgiving. Perhaps due to the upright ergonomics, the Scrambler’s throttle was smooth and precise. Its clutch pull was light, which made shifting and throttle matching easy. The Scrambler’s refined engine felt at home in stop-and-go traffic with minimal protest at low speeds or low RPMs. While my Monster 796 would growl and grumble when being held to speeds under 40 MPH, the Scrambler’s engine seemed to be perfectly tuned to handle a crowded city street.

A calm demeanor in traffic doesn’t mean the Scrambler was a slouch on the open roads. When the situation called for it, the Scrambler easily picked up speed and passed slow- moving vehicles. It seemed equally at ease flying along Highway 1 with the sparkling Pacific to your right and rolling California foothills to your left as in caged city traffic.

The Ducati Scrambler is a new direction for the brand and its lineup. With new offerings in the Panigale lineup, the all-new Multistrada, and a re-imagined Monster collection, Ducati’s motorcycles have focused on the exclusive, eye-catching exotic. Much like its signature yellow color, the Scrambler is a departure from Ducati’s norm. The Scrambler is inclusive with its welcoming styling, easy riding manners, and lifestyle brand.

Ducati sees the Scrambler appealing to many different riders. “The Scrambler rider is anyone who wants to jump on two wheels and enjoy the spirit of motorcycling. It’s not a product that takes itself too seriously and we don’t expect the owners will either,” said Ducati North America’s Marketing Director Arrick Maurice.

“Traditional Ducati products have been and continue to be developed around the idea of pushing the boundaries of design, technology and performance to deliver an experience that is truly moving,” said Maurice. “The Scrambler was developed with a much simpler goal in mind: deliver a Ducati offering that embodies the joy of riding motorcycles. The end result is a product that possesses the soul of a Ducati in a package that is incredibly fun and more approachable to a broader audience.”

The Ducati Scrambler seemed to do everything right: comfortable, laid-back riding position; polite, forgiving throttle; ample power. It provides its rider with ample confidence to take on the open roads, as well as, city congestion. Though the Scrambler is a great departure from the “traditional” Ducati, the company sees it as a friendly beacon to a larger audience.

When I got back home and took a quick ride on my Monster 796, I knew the Scrambler could never be a replacement for the Monster’s naked aggression. But the Scrambler would make you think twice when choosing a bike for the day. An easy, sunny ride on the Scrambler? Or a grumbling, untamed ride on the Monster? It’s your decision…

Story by Ryan G aka “Little Ms Moto”: Instagram

About the author

Related

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Comments

• Anonymous April 7, 2016 at 9:09 am

Great article thanks for the update. I was considering getting the 400C but seeing you on the 800C makes me wonder now. How was the weight of the bike?Great pictures! Kerry 🙂

• The Bullitt May 21, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words. They are both extremely light bikes (800cc is 375lbs and 400cc is 367lbs dry) so they shouldn't feel much different from one another. Ducati is good about offering test rides. Go try them both and decide for yourself!

• curry shoes May 6, 2019 at 1:37 am

I’m also writing to make you understand of the remarkable experience my daughter gained going through the blog. She came to find a lot of issues, with the inclusion of what it’s like to possess a very effective giving style to let a number of people without problems completely grasp chosen complicated subject areas. You really surpassed visitors’ expected results. Many thanks for delivering such essential, trustworthy, explanatory and as well as fun thoughts on your topic to Kate.
    curry shoes http://www.curry-6.us

• louboutin shoes May 18, 2019 at 7:04 pm

I precisely wished to appreciate you again. I do not know what I could possibly have done without the creative ideas documented by you concerning that concern. Certainly was a very horrifying concern in my position, however , seeing the professional manner you treated that made me to weep for happiness. I’m happier for your service and then pray you really know what a powerful job that you are doing teaching many people all through your webblog. Most probably you haven’t encountered any of us.
    louboutin shoes http://www.redbottom-shoes.us.com

• nike flyknit May 22, 2019 at 10:24 pm

I happen to be writing to make you be aware of of the superb experience my princess obtained reading through your site. She picked up so many things, which include what it’s like to possess an excellent giving mood to let other people effortlessly know just exactly some very confusing subject areas. You truly exceeded visitors’ expected results. Thank you for giving the powerful, dependable, edifying and fun guidance on the topic to Sandra.
    nike flyknit http://www.nikeflyknit.us.com

• yeezy boost May 25, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I wanted to post you this very small observation to help give many thanks as before for those extraordinary advice you have provided on this website. This has been really incredibly open-handed of you to provide freely what exactly numerous people could possibly have offered for sale as an electronic book in order to make some dough for themselves, mostly given that you could have tried it in the event you wanted. The creative ideas in addition acted to become a fantastic way to be certain that other people online have the same keenness like my personal own to know the truth very much more with reference to this issue. I am sure there are a lot more pleasurable instances up front for many who scan your site.
    yeezy boost http://yep.it/bpecgd

• curry 4 May 27, 2019 at 12:05 am

My wife and i have been quite glad when Chris managed to deal with his research through the ideas he got from your web pages. It’s not at all simplistic to just happen to be giving freely thoughts which usually a number of people have been trying to sell. And now we grasp we have you to give thanks to because of that. The type of explanations you’ve made, the easy blog menu, the relationships you will aid to foster – it is most amazing, and it is assisting our son and us reckon that this article is satisfying, which is certainly pretty indispensable. Thanks for everything!
    curry 4 http://www.curry4.net

• hermes belt May 30, 2019 at 9:52 pm

I intended to send you one little observation to help thank you as before relating to the superb strategies you have shown on this site. This is quite particularly generous with people like you to give extensively what many of us might have offered for an e book in making some dough for their own end, principally considering the fact that you could have tried it in case you wanted. These suggestions as well served to be the fantastic way to recognize that most people have the same passion just like my own to find out more when it comes to this matter. Certainly there are a lot more fun situations in the future for those who read your blog.
    hermes belt http://www.hermesbelts.co.uk

• hermes belt June 4, 2019 at 12:50 am

I really wanted to make a small remark so as to say thanks to you for the splendid tips and tricks you are sharing here. My prolonged internet research has at the end of the day been recognized with wonderful content to write about with my partners. I would say that we website visitors actually are very blessed to dwell in a great website with very many wonderful individuals with very helpful basics. I feel quite blessed to have discovered the website and look forward to tons of more fabulous moments reading here. Thank you once more for everything.
    hermes belt http://www.hermesbelts.com

• vans outlet June 7, 2019 at 2:40 pm

A lot of thanks for every one of your effort on this site. My mum enjoys getting into internet research and it’s obvious why. We all hear all of the lively ways you convey vital guidelines via this web blog and as well welcome contribution from other ones about this area of interest so our favorite simple princess is certainly discovering a lot of things. Take pleasure in the remaining portion of the year. You are always carrying out a splendid job.
    vans outlet http://www.vans-outlet.us.com

• chrome hearts June 11, 2019 at 3:09 am

I am just writing to make you be aware of of the perfect discovery my princess went through visiting your web site. She noticed a good number of details, including what it is like to possess a very effective helping spirit to let the rest with no trouble know various grueling subject matter. You truly did more than our own expectations. I appreciate you for showing those powerful, trusted, revealing as well as unique guidance on that topic to Kate.
    chrome hearts http://www.chromehearts.com.co

• krunker aimbot June 17, 2019 at 2:22 am

Me enjoying, will read more. Cheers!

• 457F3C47-96BA-479F-926C-9F292B9DB1DA June 18, 2019 at 1:27 am

I’m also commenting to let you be aware of of the magnificent experience my cousin’s princess enjoyed visiting your site. She came to find several issues, most notably how it is like to possess a marvelous giving character to make others with ease thoroughly grasp several tricky issues. You undoubtedly exceeded my expected results. Thanks for offering such beneficial, trusted, edifying as well as fun tips on that topic to Evelyn.
    457F3C47-96BA-479F-926C-9F292B9DB1DA https://www.utne.com/email?emailid=